What is Human Trafficking?
Human Trafficking is a crime that involves exploiting a person for labor, services, or commercial sex.
In 2000, for the first time, the United States specifically identified human trafficking as a crime and put into law The Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. This act defines Human Trafficking as:
- Sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age; or
- The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery. (22 U.S.C. § 7102(9)). (United States. Department of Justice. Human Trafficking. Retrieved from https://www.justice.gov/humantrafficking)
Human Trafficking Statistics
- Florida Hotline: 2018 National Human Trafficking Hotline Statistics
- Human trafficking earns global profits of roughly $150 billion a year for traffickers, $99 billion of which comes from commercial sexual exploitation.
- Globally, an estimated 71% of enslaved people are women and girls, while men and boys account for 29%.
- In 2018, over half (51.6%) of the criminal human trafficking cases active in the US were sex trafficking cases involving only children.
- In 2018, Florida was the third most reported state of human trafficking cases to the National Human Trafficking Hotline.
Human Trafficking Videos
- Sex Trafficking in the U.S.: Young Lives, Insane Profit / Yolanda Schlabach/ TEDxWilmington link https://youtu.be/LNq2WS-QFcc
- REALWOMEN/REALSTORIES Colorado Child Trafficking Survivor https://youtu.be/JW3qnAMkUgU
National Anti-Human Trafficking organization websites
- National Human Trafficking Hotline
- Polaris Project
- Freedom Network USA
- National Trafficking Sheltered Alliance
- Culture Reformed
Florida Anti-Human Trafficking and Support Services Organizations
- Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking
- Her Song
- Lavished Ministries
- Called 2 Rescue
Human Trafficking Survivor Books
- Paid For: My Journey Through Prostitution by Rachel Moran
- Renting Lacy: A Story of America's Prostituted Children by Linda Smith
- The Truth Behind The Fantasy Of Porn: The Greatest Illusion On Earth by Shelly Lubben
- Not For Sale by David Batstone
- Fallen: Out Of The Sex Industry & Into The Arms Of The Savior by Annie Lobert
- Relevant Professional Journal Articles on Human Trafficking
- Understanding Human Trafficking in America
- Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking in the United States
- Human Trafficking Power and Control Wheel